Monday, March 30, 2020

A PAUSE in Process: Successes and hurdles as we prepare to PAUSE more in the BWH Internal Medicine Residency Program.


Allison Vise MD
Resident in the Internal Medicine Residency Program at BWH/HVMA
PGY2
03/01/2020

Residents on the inpatient medical service must provide high quality care for acutely ill patients, lead interdisciplinary rounds, communicate with patients and families, and supervise a team of junior residents and students. Residents are expected to be proficient at participation in such high stakes clinical events and sometimes even lead them, without any dedicated training or overt support. Currently, post-event debriefings are happenstance, unstructured, and any debriefing typically focuses on aspects of the clinical setting and management rather than the emotions of clinicians. The emotional burden that accompanies acute patient care, especially among young trainees, is a recipe for consequences associated with burnout.

I am interested in teaching my peers how to facilitate debriefings well, and I am eager to study the effects of such a program. My Partners Center of Expertise-funded medical education research project is called PAUSE, which stands for Prepare, Analyze, Understand, Sentiment, Educate, the five steps of the PAUSE debriefing. PAUSE is an educational program that includes: 1) Creating a brief and interactive educational session about debriefing challenging situations (mistakes, codes, patient deaths, a week of inpatient work, or any other stressful situation), 2) Producing a physical tool that providers can use to facilitate such conversations, 3) Implementing the tool in our residency program and hospital, and 4) Studying the usefulness of the tool through both qualitative and quantitative methods.

Allison facilitating a PAUSE in the new PAUSE training video 
Over the past six months since I was awarded the COE grant, I have made progress on developing PAUSE, with the support of my Scholars in Medical Education Pathway co-residents and my mentors in the Departments of Medicine and Palliative Care. Specifically, I announced PAUSE to my residency program in December, to great excitement and support from my co-residents. A co-resident and I wrote and directed a training film, featuring other co-residents as actors who had just been at an imagined Code Blue. This film models a PAUSE, and is part of our training program (see image). And, with COE funding, I have created the physical tool, an easy to carry badge that will conveniently attach to providers’ ID lanyards in the hospital. I have solicited and been given permission by the medical director of the Shapiro Levine Cardiac Intensive Care Unit to roll-out our program there, given the high rate of intense events that occur, and the incredibly intimate work environment between nurses, pharmacists, PCAs, and physicians there. All in the program are excited to start using PAUSE in our hospital.

My biggest obstacle to implementation so far has been IRB approval. I have been waiting to roll-out the tool on the hospital floors until I have IRB final approval, so that I can proceed with surveys and focus groups as planned. I have learned much about the IRB process while working on PAUSE. Specifically, I have learned about the components of an education project IRB proposal that matter most. After several rounds of edits, I recently re-submitted my IRB, and eagerly await its approval.

Going forward, I am looking forward to teaching PAUSE to select groups of Internal Medicine program residents for this pilot phase. And, I am writing a curriculum to teach it to all outgoing Internal Medicine interns at the end of this year during their retreat that prepares them for their PGY-2 year. This will mean that all PGY-2 Internal Medicine residents will be ready to lead PAUSE debriefings when they become team leaders in a few short months.

I am most grateful for the support I have received from the Partners Center of Expertise in Medical Education, and I am excited to implement PAUSE soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment